Friday, September 24, 2004

Cue Fall

My Excite calendar told me it was the Autumnal Equinox on Wednesday. It hasn't been particularly obvious that it's fall as it's still been pretty warm of late, the critters are still out and about, and I can still hear the crickets (or whatever they are) buzzing in the grass and brush, not to mention the growl of lawnmowers around homes and office parks. But I think I have picked up a few cues that I do recognize as being more particular to New England, at least in comparison to what my Southern California bred brain expects for this time of year:

  • The evening temperatures dipped below 50°F for the first time last week. Definitely time to bust out the fuzzy fleece.
  • On the drive up to work, I've just started noticing the color of the leaves on the trees along 93N. Sadly, some trees have already lost all their leaves.
  • It's dark when I leave the office at 7pm
  • The concord grapes are ripening. I can smell their sweetness, followed by a musky smokiness, as I pass the wild vines that line the roads and trails where I run. Strangely, I haven't actually been able to see any fruit.
Happy fall, folks.

No comments: