Thursday, October 21, 2004

What could it mean?

Once again, Bill Simmons has an excellent column on game 7 of the ALCS series. However, he opens with:

I just watched my beloved Red Sox win the American League pennant. That's only happened twice in my lifetime. I watched them rally back from three games down in a playoff series. That's never happened before, not in the history of baseball. I also just watched the Sox beat the Yankees in a deciding playoff game. Not only has that never happened before, it's a possible sign of the apocalypse. (emphasis mine)
Oh no! Terrorist attacks, plagues (frogs, locusts and squirrels), and then Bush is going to get re-elected.

No.

The Evil Empire has fallen. The Sox didn't choke in game 7. Their come-from-behind ALCS victory was unprecedented. It's not about the past, the darkness, the fear. It's about fighting the good fight and beating the odds. The Sox have beaten the Yankees in the postseason. It's a sign that anything can happen. It's a sign that good things can happen.

It's still a tight race, but Kerry's still in it. He still has a fighting chance.

I still believe. I have faith. I have hope.

And I'm gonna keep staying away from the political blogs so my blood pressure doesn't go through the roof.

No comments: