Monday, November 15, 2004

The waiting is over

Well, I'm officially unemployed. The first time I've been without a job since graduating from college.

I've already filed my claim with the Massachusetts Division of Unemployment Assistance. One of the questions they asked was:

Have you been laid off from this job or industry before?
(Answer: no.)
It reminded me of all the numbers that you always hear on the news about unemployment. The unemployment rate, jobless numbers, first-time filers. Hey check it -- I'm a first-time filer! And I suppose I'm being just a tad cynical when I think: "yeah, here's your F'ing economic recovery, Mr. President."

Company layoffs seen during Bush Sr.: 1 (Companies:1)
Number of times laid off during Bush Sr.: 0

Company layoffs seen during Clinton: 0 (Companies:3)
Number of times laid off during Clinton: 0

Company layoffs seen during Bush Jr.: 5 (Companies:1)
Number of times laid off (so far) during Bush Jr.: 1
I realize that isn't actually a fair measure of a presidential administration, but if people are going to continue use things like the GDP to gauge how well the economy is doing (a fallacy if I've ever heard one), I'm not going to feel so bad about it.

No comments: