Thursday, December 08, 2005

Dating myself

An old college friend forwarded me a link to Flashback Alternatives, an on-line streaming radio site. (Am I being redundant when I say that?)

F'ing awesome.

The first track that got me totally hooked was when they played "Telephone Operator" by Pete Shelley. Man, I probably haven't heard that song in over 10 years. That took me back. And then songs from Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, Oingo Boingo (even if it was one of their later, poppier tunes)... perhaps only marred by a single disappointment of them playing a crappy remix of Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy" without the trademark pounding drumbeats in the background. A minor bummer. But otherwise... awesome.

Anyway, he forwarded the link when he heard "Man with a Child in his Eyes" by Kate Bush, and thought of me. Which also takes me back, because I had been somewhat obsessed with her (and that song in particular) my freshman year in college when we first met. Kinda forgot about that, understandably, I'd think, given that all my old Kate Bush LPs are back in L.A. at the 'rental homestead. You all remember LPs, right?

Yeah, good times.

So now, I want one of these so I don't have to turn on my desktop or set up the laptop next to the stereo in order to listen to the music sans headphones in the house (and there's this cool simple mod that you can do to increase its range), but I guess I'll get to that eventually.

Of course, the best part of it was forwarding the link to the SOOTTAD and then exchanging emails throughout the day like the following:

From: SOOTTAD
To: tallasiandude
Subject: ooooo, listen to next song!

peter & the test tube babies -- i haven't heard anyone ever play them but me. :-)

The two of us, totally into, and listening to, the same music during the workday.

*sigh* Just like the good ol' days.

No comments: