Monday, August 10, 2009

222/365 A Good Start


222/365 A Good Start
Originally uploaded by tallasiandude.

We've started getting a few tomatoes from the garden this year, which is a little encouraging after hearing about the late blight outbreak that's been spreading throughout the northeast. I panicked when I read the news and tried to prune any sketchy looking leaves while saving as much fruit as possible Saturday morning.

Since then, I've poked around the internets to get a better idea of what I should be looking for and it seems like I may have overreacted, or at least, it seems like the fruit isn't showing visible signs of infection. Still, I'm going to try to keep an eye on things. Unfortunately, blight or no, the plants are definitely not looking particularly healthy this year -- fruit set seems low and a few of the plants were definitely getting attacked by something, although not late blight as far as I could tell. (seemed bug-based to me, but then again, what do I know?)

No comments: