Friday, March 17, 2006

$30,000

That's how much you'd owe if you distributed out the current national debt across every man, woman and child in the country. We're talking everybody, from people on their deathbeds to newborns. I most recently saw this figure in an article on CNN.com which discussed Congress' raising of the national debt limit. Interestingly enough, when I went back to the article, this particular statistic had been removed.

I wondered: did they pull it because it was an inaccurate statistic?

So I tried doing the calculation myself, doing a rough calculation based on the current 8.2 trillion dollar debt versus the latest census numbers (rounding up, of course) and confirmed the number was in the right ballpark. (I got $27,333.33, but you'll get $30k when we hit the new debt limit that just passed. And sorry, $27k doesn't really make me feel any happier) And eventually I stumbled on this site which confirmed it.

Yeah, so much for that liberal media bias. I remember a website that was keeping track of these things (they kept screenshots of news site in order to monitor edits and redactions of articles) but I never bookmarked it (hey, I've been trying to steer clear of this stuff) and I can't remember where I saw the original reference. (Anyone else know what I'm talking about?) It's just as well, I suppose; feeling pretty powerless these days as it is.

No comments: