Thursday, March 16, 2006

Unexpected Integrity

I don't know Jessica Simpson from, well, nobody. I really have no idea what kind of person she is. But reading this earns her points in my book, for what that's worth.

People close to Simpson said she declined a request to appear that same evening at the gala fund-raiser of the National Republican Congressional Committee -- even after she was offered some private face time with Bush -- because Operation Smile is a non-partisan group.

"It just feels wrong," one Simpson insider told Reuters on Wednesday, adding that the actress keeps her political views private. "She would love to meet the president and talk about Operation Smile ... but she can't do it at a fund-raiser for the Republican Party."

I supppose that as a celebrity, she doesn't *have* to pay for access the way most people do. But I think her actions aid the common good by simply providing visibility into how these things normally work.

No comments: