Saturday, July 04, 2009

185/365 Not Proud -- GRATEFUL


185/365 Not Proud -- GRATEFUL
Originally uploaded by tallasiandude.

We watched the fireworks with the crowds from the middle of the Mass Ave bridge. It's been a few years since I've come into the city to see the show, but I have to say, it seemed like it was one of the best fireworks shows I've seen yet. (always interesting to see how they improve the technology year over year.)

So, regarding the title of this post, I kind of have a THING about the "Proud to be a ..." stuff.

I'm not a religious person, but, y'know -- one of the seven deadly... And in my mind, the list of sins does have value in a secular context: avoid these things and you're probably improving the odds of being a good person. And when I think about being a citizen of this country, I'm not so much proud, but really, really grateful that I had the good fortune to be born and raised here. The fundamental principles of its founding, the standard of living, the opportunity, the diversity. Nothing is perfect, but it sure is a lot better than some other places in this day and age.

Anyway, I'm not really one to get all patriotic or anything, so I'll just leave it with: Happy Fourth, UnitedStatesians!

Fireworks Fireworks Fireworks

1 comment:

Ushiku Person said...

Well said! I echo your feelings - our July Fourth here in the Middle East was business as usual (everyday is the same), but we all took time to reflect on our good fortune. Hope you have a great summer!