Monday, March 29, 2004

Left Behind

So, in the last 24-hours I've seen two references to the Christian Armageddon series, Left Behind: this short article in Slate (which references this article from 1999) and this post in Halley's Comment. It's probably related; it's not like Halley gets all her information directly from God or anything.

Talk about armageddon as a real thing is scary. It was bad enough when we were talking metaphorically about da bomb, it takes it to a whole new level when you bring religion into the picture. (and at least I think it's fair to call it religious fanaticism if you're going to be talking about a Biblical Armageddon) Honestly I don't really know much about the big "A" other than what you absorb through cultural immersion (interesting just to think about that). I never even saw Armageddon OR End of Days (although I did see that Demi Moore movie made in the late 80's). The jist I get from reading the above articles, though, or at least the premise in the books, is basically:

  1. anti-Christ comes to earth as a world leader
  2. ...who befriends and then screws over the Jews (metaphorically, of course)
  3. Christ ...brings about? ...enacts? ...performs? the Rapture and saves "the Saved"
  4. leaving the rest of humanity is pick sides and duke it out for what's left
The first thing I think is: "oh, The Stand!" Right. It's all derivative works, I guess.

The second is... well, the second thing. I'll briefly explain. I initially had this idea where I'd have links to a particular world leader, some news about Israel, and maybe a link or two about a liar/deceiver. I thought I could make it funny. But it's been done. And really, the more I think about it, the more I find the whole thing sadly ironic, if not a little depressing.

No comments: