Monday, March 08, 2004

Thinking back on the desert


[Kelso Dunes in the rain, March 2004]

I find it hard to believe that it's been almost a week since we got back from our most recent desert odyssey. It's probably because I'm still feeling sleep-deprived.

For those that don't know, we flew out to Vegas, met up with friends (Natasha from Maryland and Hae Jung from Los Angeles) to go camping and hiking around the Mojave National Preserve and then caught a show back in Vegas before flying home. Five days, if you include the days spent flying out and back. Tuesday was actually the perfect day. Despite having light rain at the Kelso Dunes, the rain also served to drive away any other people so we had the Dunes all to ourselves. Then, after our return to civilization, we were able to show Hae Jung the complete Vegas experience: sex (in the form of a Las Vegas show -- Cirque du Soleil's Zumanity), booze, good eats (oysters at NY, NY and a 24-hour Korean BBQ restaurant) and, of course, gambling.

It was a great trip; I just got a lot less sleep than I had originally intended. Unfortunately, it means that while fun, and a nice break from work, it wasn't the restful trip that I was counting on to energize me and get me focused once I got back to the office.

I guess there are worse things. But I am more or less back where I started -- restless and unmotivated, and looking for the next good opportunity to escape.


[Scaling the Dunes, March 2004]

[Pictures are up on the gallery, BTW, if you know where to find it.]