Friday, March 26, 2004

Meta 1.5

Found this Blog survey after wandering onto chak.org. I thought it provided some context for the whole public/private thing about posting online.

There was also another point brought up in section 11:

" b) Performing for an audience
Even though blogs have been hailed as the ultimate venue for personal expression; a world that is all about the self, it turns out that blogs are not necessarily that egocentric. In this survey, various respondents expressed the pressure that comes with having an audience. Even in its current elusive form, a blog’s audience can become such a powerful element of the writing action that it can affect what the blogger chooses to write about. "
It's probably not something I have to worry about here since there is no audience as far as I know. But I also can't help thinking about how people interact in the "real world." Perhaps it's just me, but I'm often acutely aware of the public face that I put on when dealing with different groups of people. Nothing sinister. I play a highly knowledgeable and professional engineer (or at least I try, sometimes) when I'm at work. I'm a responsible adult that needs to make real financial decisions. I'm confident about who I am, and what I want, and where I'm going. I've got my shit together. I'm a grown up.

No.

No, I'm not.

...but I play one in real life.

No comments: