Saturday, March 27, 2004

W

I posted a long time ago about googling for "W" and coming up with a link to the Whitehouse. No surprise really. The administration's media machine clearly knows what it's doing. (and if you followed that first link, you'd see that it now points to W's re-election website -- can I just say how tacky it feels to have the sitting President selling re-election swag?)

Anyway, my point was really about referring to the President as "W." I actually find it kind of funny, in a "to myself only, because it's a 20-year-old inside joke that no one even knows, let alone remembers" kind of way. I was by no means cool* in high school. But like all high school kids (I can only assume), we had our goofy inside jokes, our overquoted movies and stand-up routines, our slang. And "W" was one of them. You could just say it, or you could hold up your middle 3 fingers to your forehead while saying it, or you could just make the gesture. Kind of like the "L" you make with your thumb and forefinger when you're calling someone (or yourself) a loser, without fear of looking like a moron if you used the wrong hand. Very much like it, actually.

Since, "W" is just an abbreviation for ""Worthless."

Although I'm not sure how you'd convey negative value... but let's not go there today. It's the weekend, and it may not be sunny, but at least it's warm out.


* [UPDATE: now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that all those things I mentioned are really proof-positive that I was decidedly UNcool. I need to pick up on this kind of thing waaaaay before I hit that publish button... Dumbass.]

No comments: