Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Cheer

This isn't really about the cheer, but it ends there.

For those that don't know, traditionally, at the end of an ultimate frisbee game, each team gives a cheer to the other team -- a simple rhyme or a riff on a popular song (sometimes raunchy) to a full-out singing and dancing number. It's kind of dying out as the sport becomes more "legitimate" (hey, TV coverage on CSTV -- that's the College Sports channel in case you've got super-extendo digital outer-space based TV) and really, as it becomes more competitive. But it's one of the reasons I first started playing. I thought it was cool that you could have this athletic activity that was combined with this bit of silly, creative expression. (That and Spirit of the Game.)

So we got clobbered in last night's game. And I was still a little left-over cranky. But I still came up with a cheer; it wasn't great, but y'know...

Great game team eighteen
The entire game, you lost no steam.
Pretty throws, great flow,
mosquitoes biting -- gotta go!
And my point is this: the little bloodsuckers were out in force. I think I got more F'ing mosquito bites last night than I did all season -- a result of the deadly combination of nearby wetlands, an early fall evening, and having to stand around on the sidelines. Bah.

No comments: