Monday, September 06, 2004

Cranky

I've been pretty cranky most of this past holiday weekend. An unfortunate state to be in with three parties to attend, Saturday, Sunday and today, Monday. I went with a true desire to see people and to help celebrate various transpirings but also a mix of social obligation and a faint hope that spending time with other people might kick me out of my funk. Mixed results. Feeling a bit anti-social and like I had the shields up; occasionally withdrawn, occasionally unnecessarily snappy with people. I feel kinda bad and hope that I'm just being my usual overanalyzing, oversensitive self.

Although I think part of it was due to the particular scheduling of events that seemed to preclude any other full day activity (like my annual solo-hike of Mt. Watatic and part of the Wapack trail), I figured it was mostly because I was bummed that the SOOTTAD had left me for a camp full of swingers. (She went to dance camp.)

But it occurred to me after I got back from my Fall hat league game that it might be something else. After the end of season tournament, my left Achilles had been bothering me. I probably would have ignored it (as I probably had done during most of the season) except that an injured teammate was describing his own symptoms and I realized that they sounded disturbingly similar. Being more mindful of my lower left leg as I switched over from disc to more road running, I noticed that I was experiencing increasing discomfort (and owwie, pain) to the point where I became concerned. Not wanting to deal with trying to get an appointment with an orthopedist to look at it, I figured a short regimen of rest would probably do me some good. Which seems to be working -- it doesn't feels too bad after playing a decent number of points tonight. But, I forgot the other side of the equation; the mental health part. When I don't exercise, when I don't get outside, when I don't get the blood moving, I get depressed. It's just one of those things, but I forgot about it since it's usually only an issue during the winter. And of late, I've been more concerned about my back, which seems to be under control (by trying to keep up with my some stretching and working a few back exercising back into my routine). So maybe that's really what's been behind my mood funk.

So now I have to try and figure out how to balance the rest part with the getting enough exercise to not be Mr. Crankypants thing. Should be interesting. Hopefully, the week off will have been enough and it'll be ok to slowly ramp the running back up again.

Fingers crossed.

Oh, and tomorrow it's time to go back to work again. Yeah, that oughta help...

No comments: