Thursday, September 16, 2004

Feeling Old

On the drive home from work yesterday, I was listening to Marketplace on NPR (Wow, out of the office before 7! Sweet!) and they started a segment on how the Gap was going to try and market to the over 35 demographic. This wasn't so much a surprise to me since I had seen a headline on-line about it earlier in the day. So they go on say that they had recruited "39 and older celebrities" such as Sarah Jessica Parker, Lenn...

What?!

But Sarah Jessica Parker isn't old, why would they use her?

:: Mental double-take ::

Right.

I don't think she's old because I remember her as the nerdy girl with glasses from Square Pegs back when I was in high school. And she's married now, and has a kid. And I think of her as my age. Because basically, she IS my age (Give or take). Because I'm in that 35+ group they were talking about. Not that that's really old. But I don't think it counts as young so much either.

I didn't really hear the rest of the report -- I was too busy working out this whole Sarah Jessica Parker thing. But when I listened to it later online, I heard a quote by a spokesman from the company:

"people in general tend to see themselves as younger than they are and the older they get the gap grows wider."
Nail. Head. Ouch.

*sigh*

No comments: