Monday, April 12, 2004

the radiologist; shoulder update

I had to wait over an hour to get the X-ray this morning despite assurances when scheduling my appointment that I'd only need to get there about 15 minutes before I was supposed to see the orthopedist.

"Do you need an X-ray?" she asked.

Well yeah, I think so. The radiologist's report I had gotten from my doctor said: "Stress views of both AC joints would be helpful." I took that to mean that I needed another one. And if I hadn't mentioned to the radiologist that I had had an X-ray taken last week, I might have gotten an X-ray of the wrong thing today.

"Why are you having another X-ray?" Well, I left the report at the office and, er, the doctor downstairs doesn't have a copy of the X-ray and I figured I was supposed to get another one anyway because the original one was inconclusive...

"Well, the request here says 'right shoulder,' which sounds like the same thing you had before. Who ordered the X-ray?" Uh, I told them I needed it? I guess the woman I spoke to asked me if I needed one...

And then the radiologist started in on the Prosports people. (Fair enough, I think she technically works for New England Baptist Hospital and they probably don't coordinate the requests.) Always an hour behind schedule. Requests don't always make sense. Requests not made by the doctors. She definitely had a thing. But she knew her shit, and I appreciated that. And in the end, I got the shot of both AC joints like I was supposed to. Thank you, cool radiologist person!

So I saw the orthopedist and she basically corroborated the previous diagnosis of a grade 1-2 AC joint separation. 6-8 weeks to heal. End of story. No PT gonna make it heal faster or make it any less susceptible to reinjury. It's just gotta heal and there ain't nothing I can do about it. How will I know when I can start playing again?

"Pain."

And I'm not supposed to run for a while since the impact could irritate it. When will I know that I can run again?

"Pain."

Right, let the pain guide you. It was like a catch-all. A mantra. And how do you know if running is gonna make it hurt without running? She said I could ride a recumbent bike since a regular bike would also put bad stress on the shoulder.

"Join a gym for a month if you have to," she adds, helpfully.

Man, the next two months are gonna suuuuuuck.

No comments: