Saturday, April 10, 2004

"Wisdom is what you learn too late"

I didn't have a bad day today. But sometimes when people ask you how you're doing, it feels like it's just going to take way too much energy to really explain the nuances of how things are really going. Well, I was gonna do this thing, but then this other thing happened, and it went like so-and-so, and then this, and that, and yadda-yadda-yadda... Way too much work. And at the time, I hadn't really had a good day. So you simplify.

"Bad day."

But after I said it, it didn't feel right. I mean, nothing really bad happened.

  • I didn't get into a horrible accident on 128
  • ...or get a speeding ticket
  • I haven't been laid off
  • ...nor been told that I had to drop all my plans and that I had to stay late tonight and over the weekend
I was tired. If I had given it more thought, I would have said I'd had a stressful day.

The doctor has been absolved; he didn't call yesterday because he hadn't received the report from the radiologist. He faxed me a copy of the report; there's possibly a partial separation at the AC joint. So I've made an appointment with an physician at ProSports, the same place that I had my knee checked out two years ago and also where I did my first couple of rounds of PT for my back before going to the Spine Center (run by New England Baptist Hospital).

At work, things continue to be in hyper-crunch mode. The senior VP of engineering did walk by my cube just as I was calling the SOOTTAD to tell her that I was running late but would be on my way. He didn't say anything, but I'm sure he took a mental note that I was cutting out before dark. I feel bad for another guy who cancelled a trip down to NYC with some friends from out of town because of this project. I tried to leave things in a manageable state before leaving in a rush. I get to deal with them again later this weekend.

Down to Waltham in record time, picked up the SOOTTAD and into blew into town, settling for parking halfway to Inman and barely made it to the show on time.

But we didn't miss the show. In fact, we got to see an awesome Leo Kottke show at Sanders Theater tonight. And he played some new songs as well as some old favorites. And he told some great stories. And we saw friends there, and went to Pho afterwards. And had ice cream after that.

Pretty good really, but I think just saying "good day" doesn't work either. It ended well, and I'm certainly not going to complain about that. Just pointing out that it would be missing a great deal in saying only that. This economy of words, dividing all these things into Black and White, is certainly convenient at times, but it seldom seems to do the thing justice. The extrapolation of that can be left as an exercise to the reader.

No comments: