Thursday, November 03, 2005

AEM Day 2 - "Fish Outta Water"


Originally uploaded by tallasiandude.

Not sure where this one came from -- something about a fish swimming upstream got stuck in my head this morning. Had a few ways I was thinking about rendering it, maybe I'll do one of the alternatives later this month.

Oy. My hand is killing me.

I was planning on adding scales to the fish and putting more detail into the crowd in back, but I basically killed off the pen I was using, so I figured that was the sign telling me I was done for the night.

Probably should have been writing a paper or studying, or getting some work done, but this is definitely more fun. But I'm going to have to scale back on my goals a bit or I'm going to be seriously sleep-deprived by the end of the month. (And lose my job. And fail out of school.)

This is definitely going to be a challenge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is so awesome!!! i actually love that the fish is all white, it stands out so clearly and seems ghostly. verrrry cool.

nikki the red said...

i too love the contrast.

Anonymous said...

Yup -- me three! REALLY makes him look like a fish out of water. Glad your pen ran out ;-)

tallasiandude said...

Heh. Thanks everyone.

Man, I tell you, all this positive feedback is great, but it's like drugs. I'm going to forfeit up my house and turn to a life of crime to support my art-positive-feedback habit.

FWIW, the fish was always going to be lighter as a contrast to the sea of people. I just wanted to add some detail. Hopefully it wouldn't have darkened it too much, but you really never know. (Or at least, I don't.)

Incidentally, my intent was to make it look like it was swimming -- I didn't want it to look like it was the center of some large spectacle, but I'll settle for it not looking dead. (in the "water," as it were.)